GH#2 Reflection

For my Genius Hour 2 project, I researched the topic; “Depression in Cancer Patients” I chose this topic because of my experience with a book called “Please Don’t Be True” by Phillis Reynolds Naylor in which a teenage character is diagnosed with breast cancer and has the hardest time of her life. By researching this topic, I learned that indeed a lot of cancer patients are depressed after accepting their condition. I also learned that writing, singing or getting involved in any activity that required positivity or openmindedness enhances happiness in cancer patients. Knowing all these stuff about cancer patients helps me relate and understand their condition. It also gives me knowledge on symptoms of depression in cancer patients and how I can use that to help a friend, family member or even stranger to dodge or fight depression. What I learned about depression in cancer patients can help the world because if people around the world know this, they will be able to help cancer patients. Cancer patients will also be able to help themselves from further unhappiness and misery and understand the circumstances and consequences of being depressed during cancer.
They will know how to help themselves if they manage to fall into depression and can’t use the aid of antidepressants. And, what I learned can also help doctors prescribe medicines that can be useful for depressed cancer patients like anti-depressants because according to Cancer.net, only 3% of cancer patients are prescribed antidepressants.

For my next Genius Hour project, I will like to go more in-depth on cancer or other common diseases. For my Genius Hour Project, I researched the types, symptoms, causes, and treatments of breast cancer. And for this project, I focused on depression in cancer patients. And for my Genius Hour 3 project, I will like to look at something similar or more specific than my last two topics. I will like to research something that will help me grow and be useful to the world.

Works Cited
Image: Campbell, Clenn. “Depression vs. Cancer: An Investigation.” Philosopphy.baddalailama.com, Dec 9, 2012, http://philosophy.baddalailama.com/2012/12/depression-vs-cancer.html, March 28, 2018.
ASCO Staff, “Depression.” ASCO Cancer.net. ASCO Cancer. Net, Cancer.Net Editorial Board. October, 2017. Accessed Feb 18, 2018. www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer/managing-emotions/depression.