GH#1 Reflection

For my 1st Genius Hour project, I decided to research about basic knowledge on breast cancer that everyone should know. So, I decided to focus on types, symptoms, causes, preventions, and treatments of breast cancer. Therefore, my research question is: “Basic and Helpful knowledge about breast cancer the world should know.” As I researched this topic, I got much deeper into the topic than intended. This will be explained as you continue to read.

(Jackson, Paul)

I chose this topic because I am determined to be more educated on breast cancer and how I can improve on being a breast cancer activist so I will be able to educate people about how their choices in life can lead to horrible things such as breast cancer. I also wanted to know how much support is given to victims of breast cancer and what is the estimate of people that die from breast cancer and for 2017, it is estimated to be 40,610 people which is a lot.

(Dichter, Megan)

I learned the different kinds of breast cancer such as the major ones like the In Situ cancers and Invasive (infiltrating) carcinoma. I never knew that black, obese women have a higher chance of having breast cancer nor did I know that environment was a cause of breast cancer. Drinking alcohol, smoking, using drugs are all risks of being a victim of breast cancer and so does eating lots of fats and not exercising or staying healthy. To prevent breast cancer, causes of breast cancer should be avoided like taking drugs. A treatment for breast cancer includes surgery. Surgery is a well-known way of treating injuries or disorders with instruments. I believe that during the surgery, the lump in the breast gets removed before it becomes bigger and spreads throughout the breasts.

(Shutterstock)

With all the information I have gathered, I want to host a community meeting where I can inform people in our community the dangers of breast cancer and how they can avoid it and what they can do to avoid it. I want to know more about breast cancer. I want to have a foundation like powerful and famous women who are either dealing with breast cancer or have dealt with breast cancer. So, in the next Genious Hour, I want to hear from famous women and women who are “average” people about so I can hear their experiences and try to write a book or give a big presentation about different stories of breast cancer or just women who have been through sexual harassment, racism or problems like that. And if everything goes well, in my big plan, I plan to invite some of them to come and share at my big meeting.

Here is some of what I’ve found during my research.

Works Cited

Dichter, Megan. “Breast Cancer Awareness Should Shift Focus To Breast Cancer Prevention.” Bensalem Comfort. Bensalem Comfort, October 13, 2013, http://bensalemcomfort.com/breast-cancer-awareness-should-shift-focus-to-breast-cancer-prevention/

Jackson, Paul. “Search vs. Research.” Public Libraries Online. Public Libraries Online, February 22, 2016, http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2016/02/search-vs-research/

CC0 Public Domain
Free for Personal and Commercial Use
No attribution required
Picture gotten from ShutterStock.

WEGO Health
Pinterest.